Lip augmentation has become increasingly popular as an aesthetic procedure. However, it’s important to determine if it’s the right choice for you. In this article, I’ll provide a comprehensive overview of lip augmentation, including its different types and materials. By the end, you’ll be equipped with the knowledge necessary to decide if this procedure is suitable for your needs. If you’re considering lip augmentation in Medellín, please feel free to reach out to us for further information.
What is lip augmentation?
Lip augmentation involves the application of hyaluronic acid to the lips to enhance their hydration, definition, or size, depending on the patient’s preferences. The procedure is relatively quick and involves a small amount of local anesthesia. While it does not require any downtime, it’s important to follow proper aftercare instructions. Some temporary swelling may occur, but it will subside shortly.
When it comes to hyaluronic acid used in lip augmentation, it’s crucial to opt for a reputable brand that is FDA and/or INVIMA approved in Colombia. You should never compromise on quality when it comes to a product that will be applied to your face. Additionally, it’s important to note that cosmetologists or general dentists should not perform this procedure as they lack the necessary training. Only specialists in the field, whether medical or dental, should handle this type of procedure.
What types of lip augmentation are there?
It’s essential to use hyaluronic acid for lip augmentation. In the past, before hyaluronic acid became popular, other methods such as biopolymers and even cooking oil were used for lip augmentation.
As these materials were inexpensive, they were often applied excessively, resulting in disproportionate lips. Additionally, serious infections and malformations occurred due to the misuse of these products, which should never have been applied to the face. Furthermore, unqualified personnel often performed these procedures, sometimes even in unlicensed and clandestine locations. Thankfully, today, regulatory controls have increased worldwide in all offices and clinics, reducing the number of cases of poorly performed procedures. The use of regulated and approved products is now mandatory to ensure patient safety.
How long does a lip augmentation last?
One of the most frequently asked questions about lip augmentation is its duration, which typically ranges from 8 to 12 months. It’s advisable to undergo touch-ups around the 10-month mark before the product is completely absorbed. This will prevent the need for excessive reapplication, resulting in a more cost-effective solution. However, it’s important to note that even after 12 months, the effects of the lip augmentation may still be noticeable, although the hyaluronic acid will have been significantly reabsorbed, resulting in a gradual fading of the initial dreamy effect.
How do I know if this treatment suits me or not?
Once you’ve understood what lip augmentation is and its various types, it’s time to consider your personal situation and come to a conclusion about whether or not the procedure is suitable for you.
- Lip augmentation isn’t just for individuals looking to increase the size of their lips. Many people have lips that are naturally proportionate but experience dryness and cracking, causing them to appear dehydrated and larger than normal, despite using lip balm regularly. Hyaluronic acid, which is a powerful moisturizer, can be an excellent solution for this issue. In fact, hyaluronic acid is a common ingredient in moisturizers due to its remarkable sponge-like effect, which it also applies to your lips, resulting in a softer and firmer appearance. By undergoing a hyaluronic acid-based lip augmentation treatment, you can enjoy a more hydrated, healthier-looking pout.
- Lip augmentation is an excellent option for individuals with small lips. This treatment is specifically designed to increase lip size, always considering facial proportions and personal preferences to ensure that patients feel satisfied with the final result.
- For those who desire a more noticeable and defined appearance for their normal-sized lips, lip augmentation with hyaluronic acid is the perfect solution. This procedure allows for a gradual injection of hyaluronic acid, giving you control over the amount of change you want. Furthermore, if you ever decide to reverse the process and return to your original lip size, the great news is that hyaluronic acid is entirely biocompatible and resorbable, unlike the previously used biopolymers which had a permanent effect.
- In case of having “barcode” lines around the lips, which is one of the initial indications of aging, and can also be caused by smoking or sun exposure leading to dehydration, this procedure is ideal. It not only provides hydration to the area but also helps redefine the contours of the lips.
- When my lips present some asymmetry.
- If you wish to prevent the signs of aging, a good way to do so is by opting for a lip augmentation or definition treatment with hyaluronic acid as aging can cause a loss of hydration and fat in our face, including the lips. “Barcode” lines around the lips are one of the first noticeable signs of aging and are often caused by dehydration, smoking, or prolonged sun exposure. This treatment not only rehydrates the area but also helps redefine the lip contours, giving them a more youthful appearance.
When it doesn’t suit me:
- If the treatment is not for personal reasons but rather to please someone else.
- If you have previously undergone the lip augmentation treatment and desire an even bigger size, it is important to consider the proportions of your face so that the final result looks natural and balanced.
- If at some point in the past I received injections of biopolymers instead of hyaluronic acid.
- If you have concerns regarding the qualifications and background of the person performing the procedure or the credibility of the center, it’s important to address them before proceeding with the treatment.