Having a white, bright smile can make a huge difference in how we feel about ourselves and how we present ourselves to the world. A teeth whitening treatment can be a great way to boost your confidence and improve your appearance. The satisfaction that comes with having a successful whitening treatment is undeniable. Your teeth will look cleaner, brighter, and healthier, and you’ll feel more confident in your smile. But, it’s important to know how to take care of your teeth after the treatment to ensure that the results last as long as possible.
Taking Care of Sensitivity
Sensitivity is a common side effect of teeth whitening treatments. This can occur because the bleaching agents used in the treatment can penetrate the enamel and dentin of the teeth, which can cause the nerves inside the teeth to become irritated.
The enamel is the hard, protective layer on the surface of the teeth, and the dentin is the layer beneath the enamel. Both of these layers contain tiny tubules that lead to the nerves inside the teeth. When the bleaching agents penetrate these layers, they can cause the nerves inside the teeth to become irritated, resulting in sensitivity. But no worries, I will explain you how to solve this problem.
- Take over-the-counter pain relievers if you experience sensitivity after a whitening treatment: Pain relievers such as ibuprofen or acetaminophen can help to reduce pain and discomfort associated with sensitivity. However, it’s important to consult with your dentist or doctor before taking any medication.
- Use sensitivity toothpaste or rinse with a fluoride mouthwash to help reduce sensitivity after a whitening treatment: Sensitivity toothpastes contain ingredients such as potassium nitrate, fluoride, and strontium chloride that help to soothe sensitive teeth. Fluoride mouthwash is also beneficial as it can help to strengthen the enamel on the teeth, making them less sensitive.
- Avoid consuming hot or cold foods and drinks for a few days after the treatment, as they can cause increased sensitivity: Hot and cold temperatures can cause the nerves inside the teeth to become more irritated, causing increased sensitivity. By avoiding hot and cold foods and drinks, you can help to reduce the amount of sensitivity you experience.
- Avoid citrus foods such as lemon, orange, and tangerine as they can affect the dental enamel that is currently in the process of remineralization and can cause sensitivity: Citrus foods are acidic and can erode the enamel on the teeth, making them more sensitive. By avoiding citrus foods, you can help to protect the enamel on your teeth and reduce the amount of sensitivity you experience.
- Avoid smoking and drinking red wine, coffee, or tea as they can cause staining and undo the effects of the whitening treatment: Smoking and drinking red wine, coffee, or tea can cause staining on the teeth, undoing the effects of the whitening treatment. By avoiding these habits, you can help to maintain the results of your whitening treatment for longer.
- Keep good oral hygiene habits like brushing twice a day and flossing daily to remove plaque and bacteria from your teeth: Good oral hygiene habits are essential for maintaining healthy teeth and gums. By brushing and flossing regularly, you can help to remove plaque and bacteria from your teeth, which can cause sensitivity and staining.
- Avoid using “whitening” toothpastes as they can stain the tooth superficially and make the whitening less effective: “Whitening” toothpastes can actually damage the enamel on your teeth and make them more sensitive. It’s best to use a regular toothpaste after a whitening treatment.
- Schedule regular dental cleanings and check-ups to keep your teeth and gums healthy: Regular dental cleanings and check-ups can help to keep your teeth and gums healthy and identify any issues that could be causing sensitivity.
- Avoid using creams, dental rinses and / or gels for dental sensitivity unless you experience sensitivity after the treatment: These products can block the pores of the teeth, making the whitening less effective. It’s best to only use them if you experience sensitivity after the treatment.
- Consult with your dentist before undergoing a whitening treatment to identify any preexistent dental issues that could be exacerbated by the treatment and take preventive measures: A dentist can identify any issues that could be affected by the whitening treatment, such as cavities, receding gums, or exposed roots, and take preventive measures to minimize sensitivity.
How to take care of your teeth so that teeth whitening lasts longer
After undergoing a teeth whitening treatment, it is important to take extra care of your teeth to ensure that the results last as long as possible. The first month after the treatment is crucial, as it is during this time that your teeth are most susceptible to staining and sensitivity. By following a strict oral care routine and avoiding certain foods and drinks, you can ensure that your whitening treatment lasts for as long as possible. Regular dental check-ups and touch-ups also play a key role in maintaining the whiteness of your teeth after the treatment. So it is important to be aware of the precautions and rules that you have to follow during the first month of your whitening treatment to get the best results and make it last as much as possible.
- Avoid foods and drinks that can stain your teeth: Consuming foods and drinks like coffee, tea, red wine, and dark berries can cause staining on your teeth, undoing the effects of the whitening treatment. To ensure that your whitening treatment lasts longer, it’s best to avoid these foods and drinks as much as possible.
- Keep up with good oral hygiene practices: Brushing and flossing your teeth regularly, as well as using mouthwash, can help to remove plaque and bacteria from your teeth, which can cause staining.
- Stay away from tobacco products: Smoking or using other tobacco products can cause staining on your teeth, undoing the effects of the whitening treatment.
- Schedule regular dental cleanings: Regular cleanings with your dentist can help to remove surface stains and keep your teeth looking white.
- Use touch-up products: Touch-up products like whitening pens or at-home whitening kits can help to maintain the results of your whitening treatment between appointments.
- Consult with your dentist for professional whitening touch-ups: Your dentist can recommend professional whitening touch-up treatments to maintain the results of your whitening treatment.
It is important to note that after undergoing a teeth whitening treatment, it is recommended to wait at least 8 days before undergoing any other dental procedures. This is because the whitening treatment can cause sensitivity and dehydration of the tooth structure, and performing another procedure too soon can cause further irritation and damage to the teeth. Additionally, waiting 8 days allows the teeth to fully remineralize and stabilize after the whitening treatment, ensuring that the results of the whitening treatment are not affected by any additional procedures. Therefore, it is important to schedule your whitening treatment and any other dental procedures accordingly and make sure you wait at least 8 days between them to get the best results and avoid potential complications.
Para que lo tengas en cuenta, es muy importante dejar pasar 8 días como mínimo antes de realizar algún procedimiento dental como diseño de sonrisa o cambiar alguna resina ya que se ha demostrado en varios estudios que el componente blanqueador se demora hasta 8 días saliendo del diente, este forma pequeñas burbujas al salir que hace que si se pone una resina sobre el diente, y estas burbujas aún no han sido liberadas, se corre el riesgo de desadaptación o fracturas del diseño de sonrisa o de los procedimientos dentales que te hayas realizado.
A teeth whitening treatment can be a great way to boost your confidence and improve your appearance. But, it’s important to know how to take care of your teeth after the treatment to ensure that the results last as long as possible. Clinica Viena is a dental clinic that offers a wide range of dental services, including teeth whitening, and is committed to providing the highest quality care to their patients. If you’re looking for a professional teeth whitening treatment, Clinica Viena is a great choice.
Author: Dra. Sara Peláez Monsalve