WHAT IS A BICHECTOMY?
WHAT IS REMOVED IN THE BICHECTOMY?
In the bichectomy 2 balls of fat are removed which are known as Bichat’s balls in honor of the French anatomist doctor who identified them in the late eighteenth century. They function as a buffer between the two muscles in mastication and are important when we were newborns during the lactation phase for breastfeeding.
HOW MUCH DOES A BICHECTOMY COST IN MEDELLIN?
The bichectomy in our clinic at this moment has a value from 1’250.000 COP. Nonetheless, the price can vary according to complexity since each patient is different. It is performed by specialists graduated from the best universities in Medellin. We give all the support and guarantee to our patients that they are in the best hands.
WHAT ARE THE RESULTS OF A BICHECTOMY?
- The bichectomy stylizes the cheekbones and the middle third of the face, reduces the size of the cheeks and creates symmetry in them.
- It is highly recommended for patients who have a round face and wish to refine the shape of their face. Bichectomy is a procedure with fast and definitive results since it is only performed once in a lifetime.
This is a very common procedure nowadays and it has become very popular because radical changes have been seen in many famous celebrities.
STEP BY STEP BICHECTOMY PROCEDURE
This is a very simple procedure that only requires 30 to 40 minutes to be performed. Although it is very simple, as any other procedure, it must be performed by a specialist in the field such as a maxillofacial surgeon or a plastic surgeon.
If you are planning to have a bichectomy, be aware that an specialist in going to perform it. Nowadays, general dentists without any specialization have been doing short courses in this type of procedure putting at risk the health and results in the short and long term.
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO SEE THE RESULTS OF A BICHECTOMY?
The results begin to be noticed after a week from the process when it begins the deflation of the bichectomy. The definitive results will be seen after a month and a half after the tissues have healed completely and the decrease in volume of the lower facial third can be appreciated.
HOW MANY TIMES CAN BICHECTOMY BE PERFORMED?
Bichat balls are only formed once in a lifetime and we have them since we are babies even to facilitate the process of breastfeeding. Therefore, it is a process that is only performed once in a lifetime.
Unlike other procedures that are not dental, but medical, and are also related to fat deposits such as liposuction as they work on fat deposits that due to lack of care may appear again.
Since the bichectomy is a very simple procedure and is performed under local anesthesia, it does not require very rigorous prior care. However, here we are going to give you basic care before performing it
- Tell the specialist who will perform the bichectomy if you are taking medications such as aspirin. It can cause bleeding problems because it is an anticoagulant. It is recommended to speak with your doctor to temporarily suspend it.
- Do not smoke prior to surgery at least 2 weeks before because smoking interferes in all healing processes of any medical procedure. It inhibits proper oxygenation of the tissues, slowing recovery.
- Have an excellent oral hygiene. If you have dental calculus, it is advisable to have a deep dental cleaning with scaling as this reduces complications such as infections.
Care after the bichectomy
Post-operative care is the success of any dental procedure. Therefore, here we explain what actions you should take once you have undergone surgery
- Keep the special face bandage on for at least 24 hours to reduce swelling. This bandage is placed by the specialist at the end of the procedure.
- Ice on the area for the first 24 hours
- Avoid eating hot food.
- Stitches are removed after 8 days.
- Have a very good oral hygiene 3 times a day. This will reduce the risk of infection and keep in mind that the mouth is one of the most contaminated places in the human body.
- Do not blow, whistle or spit during the first days of the surgery since this stimulates the cheek muscles generating a lot of pressure on the area.
- Sleep on your back during the first days to avoid causing pressure on the area during the night hours and thus not generate bleeding.
- Do not do physical activity for at least 3 days
- Do not get exposed to the sun for the first 48 hours.
- Follow all recommendations regarding medications prescribed by the specialist.
- Have a liquid and soft diet during the first days in order to avoid excessive force in the muscles of mastication.
- In case of excessive bleeding, change in the sensitivity of the area or intense pain, call or go to the clinic.
IN WHICH CASES IT IS NOT RECOMMENDED
Although bichectomy has very noticeable results depending on the size of the Bichat balls that have been extracted, it is not recommended for all cases.
In people who have naturally thin features and / or in people who have sagging in the middle third of the face is not recommended because it decreases facial support.
COMPLICATIONS OF BICHECTOMY
The bichectomy is a very simple, fast and ambulatory process. However, any medical or dental procedure has risks and that is why it is so important to follow the indications and take the necessary time for such care.
- Bleeding: It also occurs when we accidentally hurt the area that is just in the process of recovery.
- Infection: : It also occurs when we do not have proper hygiene of the area, which is why this point is so important.
- Swelling in the area
- Injury to the salivary ducts
- Injury to the maxillary nerves
- Fluid accumulation in the area, especially in patients with large Bichat balls, which is reabsorbed days later.
Clinica Viena cuenta con servicios especializados en la ciudad de Medellín que le ayudarán a solucionar esos inconvenientes del día a día. Tratamiento para Caries dental, Remoción de las mismas, y limpieza dental son algunos de los servicios con los cuales podrá contar en nuestra clínica.. Conoce más aquí…
Nuestros tratamientos de ortodoncia en Medellín están entre los procedimientos odontológicos más conocidos y más populares, realizado en conjunto con el diseño de sonrisa, da resultados no solo más estables sino visiblemente más impactantes por armonía y simetría en la sonrisa. Conoce más aquí…